The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 Trailers

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 Trailers 

Monday, January 24, 2011

TeamEdwardPOV Exclusive: Interview with Orbit Monkey's Jörg Kohring!

Tweet This | Share on FaceBook

Hey Everyone,
This is one of the surprises I had for you tonight. 
Here is our exclusive interview with the frontman and lead guitarist of Orbit Monkey's Jörg Kohring! 

NOTE! If you are interested to reproduce this interview you have to send us an Email first for Written Authorization. Thank you.

According to MI, Jorg is known to the music world for touring and performing with multi platinum selling artists like Lifehouse, his previous band Blend, but also his specialty in rock, pop, blues and guitar technique.

Orbit Monkey is an indie band and the brainchild of Jörg. As you can read on their Official Website "After years of hounding by his friends, he finally succumbed to their peer pressure and put a few of his songs on Myspace."  

They made a Twilight inspired EP and I can assure you that you will love their tunes. I do hope they will make it into the Breaking Dawn Soundtrack! Recently one of their songs "Let There Be Love" was featured in the TV Show "The Young And The Restless." 

But lets go to the interview where you can find out more about Jorg and Orbit Monkey!

Q: What was the initiative to start your band? Who named it Orbit Monkey? (and why if you want to share it with us
Jorg: Well, we were taking a little bit of a break with Blend, which was my main band for a long time. As usual I kept writing songs and I also got better at recording and producing these tunes. All of a sudden I had a bunch of songs recorded and I decided to put them up on myspace. The feedback I got from friends and fans all over the world was really good, so I decided to front my own band. The problem of finding a band name was solved, when I brainstormed with a good friend of mine (drummer of 98lb weakling) and he suggested Orbit Monkey. It has this bittersweet taste to it, especially when you consider the meaning behind Orbit Monkey. I am referring to those poor little guys they shoot into the Orbit in little space capsules, to make sure everything works perfectly, before they send people up there. Some of these Monkeys died and are still circling the earth. A testament of what we are capable of doing both good and bad. Amazing and frightening.
Q: What was the reason for doing a Twilight themes EP ?
Jorg : It all started when we were in Germany in the summer of 2009. We met up with an old friend of mine, who is now a very successful producer and songwriter in Germany. We wanted to record and write a couple of songs, but we weren’t sure where to take it lyrically. So we asked Jessica, who was sitting on the couch in the studio reading a book. Needless to say, it was one of the Twilight books that she became recently obsessed with. So we wrote a song called “I believed in you” and it fell all into place when Rachel came into the studio to sing it. I had worked on a few songs with her in Los Angeles, but I didn’t know she was a big Twilight fan as well. Her performance was awesome and the song tuned out absolutely killer!
Back in LA I started working with yet another artist who was a huge Twilight fan, called Laura Serafine. We decided to do a whole EP and submit the songs for consideration for New Moon. The EP is called “Songs From The Dark Side” and it was released on iTunes just before New Moon came out.
Once again, while writing for this project, there were a few song ideas that were more fitting for a male vocal, and since I had completely absorbed all the Twilight books by then myself, I started working on “One Last Twilight” for Orbit Monkey
Q: Was it the success of the series that made you notice the romance or were it the books?
Jorg: Definitely the books! Although I was absolutely impressed by the great job of the casting director. All the characters looked and were pretty much exactly as I had envisioned them while reading the books. Very fun and satisfying.
Q: Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones? Or was it something else?
Jorg: With these two albums I was much inspired by some of the bands who actually became popular around the same time as Twilight came out (and had cuts on the soundtrack). I really got into the sound of Paramore and Kings Of Leon. Later on I also saw Death Cab For Cutie playing at the opening event of New Moon in Hollywood and I really liked their performance as well. Oh yes, and needless to say, I am a big Muse fan !
Q: What song of yours are you most proud of? Why?
Jorg: Hmmm, writing songs is a constant challenge, cause you always want to find that special thing, the melody that is just perfect, the lyric that touches you etc., preferably, without repeating yourself too much… So sometimes the songs I like most, are the ones where I feel I successfully covered some new ground. For that reason I really like Laura’s “Happy Ending” as well as “Used”. I like the intro/vers chords in “Used” and how the words flow in the verses. It fits perfectly to Jacobs situation, but it can also be applied to many other situations so people can relate to this in their own way. And I do like my vocal performance too, which doesn’t happen too often ;)
There are some new songs I like a lot, but it would be too early to talk about it…!
Q: What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
Jorg: I may sound like a broken record, but playing lead-guitar for Lifehouse in 2001/2002 was just absolutely incredible. We played shows every night all over the country as well as some TV shows in Europe. The highlights were Madison Square Garden in New York and The Staples Center in Los Angeles. And not to forget, the Olympic winter games in Salt Lake City.
Q: What can you tell me about your instruments? (i.e Are you subject to brand loyalty or will you play with whatever's available?
Jorg: I definitely like certain Guitars and Amps. Actually, I am pretty conservative when it comes to that: Les Pauls and Strats with a Vox AC 30 or Marshall amp. I use D’addario strings and I love my Martin acoustic guitar. In the studio I use MXL mics going through ART compressors and my RME interface. My DAW is Sonar.
Q: What made you choose the instruments you have now? Was it cost or was it a style/model/brand/color preference?
Jorg: Definitely the sound, but they are also kinda standard (in an old-school way !) for a working musician, since I did and sometimes still do sessions for other artists.
Q: What are your plans for your future music?
Jorg: Being the best composer and performer I can possibly be. And of course, getting a song placed in “Breaking Dawn” 
Q: One of your songs was it in a tv series. What was your first thought when you found it out?
Jorg: I was definitely very excited. It’s a great satisfaction to find out that someone likes your songs so much that they place it their TV show. Now hopefully we can get more of those. I can’t wait to get some placements in the shows I watch on a regular basis myself.
Q: Are you going to tour in the future? (We do hope to see you in Europe ! )
Jorg: Haha, yes, I hope to see you all in Europe too! There are no concrete plans at the moment, but as soon as we get some real traction with our songs we will go on tour, and that includes Europe.
Q: How do you see / imagine your band to be in ten years?
Jorg: Ideally we would go on bigger tours every year you know, opening up for bands like Kings Of Leon or Muse, until we can headline ourselves. Since the old music business marketing models don’t really apply anymore, we focus very much on getting to a bigger audience through film and TV. Cause a placement in a big movie or even ad can make all the difference.
At the end of the day it’s all about the fans though. That said, I would like to thank you very much for the opportunity to talk to you about Orbit Monkey.
Thank you for your time!
You can find more info about Orbit Monkey on their Official Website HERE
Official MySpace Page HERE 
Official Twitter HERE
Official Facebook HERE
Below you can watch as a video for the FIRST time Orbit Monkey's Are We Alive
Jorg was kind enough to let me make a video for him. Watch it and tell us your thoughts. 
Can you place it in Breaking Dawn? I do...


NOTE! If you are interested to reproduce this interview you have to send us an Email first for Written Authorization. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment